23.2.09

I love the Oscars!

I've never really given two hoots about the Oscars, but as I awaited for AR Rahman (big fan of his music) to win his first oscar, I got hooked.

I enjoyed Penelope Cruz's touching speech about the Oscars being a platform for worldwide art unity,

I teared up watching the Ledger family accept the much deserving Best supporting actor Oscar on Heath Ledger's behalf,

I smiled when Kate Winslet told her dad to whistle out loud because she didn't know where he was sitting,

I laughed at Tina Fey and Steve Martin's classy dig at Scientology,

I marvelled at how the Academy got a bunch of previous Academy award winners for each category to speak a bit about each nominee (greats like Sophia Lauren, Whoopi Goldberg, Michael Douglass, Angelica Houston, Marion Cotillard, Kevin Kline, Christopher Walken etc.). All of them quite humbly and genuinely spoke about how marvelous each actor has been in the movie they were nominated for and some even went on to compliment them as human beings.

A truly unique oscar experience it was.


Now if you'll excuse me, I'm heading to my bathroom to practice my Oscar speech for Best Director.

And its going to be my toothpaste tube, not my shampoo bottle.

No comments: